Interns ah, how we love to brainwash you.
At Golden Gate Ventures in 2013, we have our largest cohort of interns ever since we were in business a year ago. Our first intern in 2012, Justin Hall has since joined us as an associate just a few months ago.
We love our interns in 2013. Our cohort this year consists of Amira Jeneid, Kelvin Lim, Kevin Liu, and Warren Lee (still counting).
Most of them joined us for the summer and I had great fun working with some of them, sometimes too much fun. I have promised them that I will brainwash them whenever I could and try to make their internship a win-win for both parties. I believe I accomplished most if not all of those promises. They have diligently helped us with investment activities, startup research, event organization, and also working with aspiring founders at the Founder Institute (Singapore). We hope the various activities and people you met has broaden your horizons in what the startup world is like. (99% chaos x ambiguity)
Some parting advice for the interns whom have crossed my path this year and also to those who have not.
- Your clear advantage now which no one can take away from you, is your youth.
- You may or may not have found what you would like to do for the rest of your life but at least you had a glimpse. A glimpse of what it is or is not, things that you should do or do not.
- Experienced industry folks are not that hard to reach. Hunt them down and ask questions, what is the worst that can happen?
- Look outside school for what is to come. Reality sits outside the school yard. Google is your best friend (for now). For some of you — Stackoverflow (hint hint).
- Finally, for those heading back to school. Cherish the time left, be a kid, play hard and work hard and make as many friends as you can (trust me - especially those who have different backgrounds as you).
Hit me up if you need anything. You know where to find me.
And for all the hard work and laughs. Mahalo.